.xlsb is Microsoft Excel Binary Workbook File
Key Features: .XLSB File Extension
|File Format||Microsoft Excel Binary Workbook (.xlsb)|
|Purpose||Stores Excel spreadsheets in a binary format|
|Advantages||Smaller file size, faster performance, password protection|
|Disadvantages||Limited compatibility, no macro support|
|Compatible Applications||Microsoft Excel 2007 and later, LibreOffice Calc, OpenOffice Calc|
|Conversion Options||XLSX, CSV, other formats|
|Use Cases||Large spreadsheets, data analysis, machine learning|
What's on this Page
What is an XLSB file?
An XLSB file is a Microsoft Excel Binary Workbook file. It is a proprietary file format that is used to store Excel spreadsheets. XLSB files are smaller and faster than XLSX files, making them ideal for large spreadsheets. However, they are not as widely compatible as XLSX files, and they cannot be opened in older versions of Excel.
Here are some of the key features of XLSB files:
- Smaller file size: XLSB files are typically much smaller than XLSX files, which can save storage space and reduce upload and download times.
- Faster performance: XLSB files are also faster to load and open than XLSX files, especially for large spreadsheets.
- Security: XLSB files can be password-protected to prevent unauthorized access.
Here are some of the limitations of XLSB files:
- Limited compatibility: XLSB files are not as widely compatible as XLSX files, and they cannot be opened in older versions of Excel.
- No macro support: XLSB files do not support macros, which are automated scripts that can be used to perform tasks in Excel.
Overall, XLSB files are a good option for users who need to store and work with large spreadsheets. However, XLSX files are a better choice for users who need to share their spreadsheets with others or who need to use macros.
How to open XLSB files?
There are a few different ways to open XLSB files:
- Double-click the file: If you have a compatible version of Excel installed on your computer, the file will open automatically.
- Right-click the file and select Open With: Then choose Microsoft Excel from the list of options.
- Open Excel and then click File > Open: Then navigate to the XLSB file you want to open and select it.
How to convert XLSB file to another file format?
There are a few different ways to convert XLSB files to another file format:
- Use Microsoft Excel: Open the XLSB file in Excel and then click File > Save As. Select the file format you want to save the file as from the list of options.
- Use a third-party file conversion tool: There are a number of third-party file conversion tools that can be used to convert XLSB files to other file formats. Some popular options include Zamzar and Convertio.
- Use Google Sheets: Google Sheets can open and convert XLSB files. To open an XLSB file in Google Sheets, click File > Open and then select the XLSB file you want to open. Once the file is open, you can click File > Download as and select the file format you want to save the file as.
Can I open XLSB files in Google Sheets?
Yes, you can open XLSB files in Google Sheets. To open an XLSB file in Google Sheets, click File > Open and then select the XLSB file you want to open. Once the file is open, you can edit and save it like any other Google Sheets file.
How do I fix corrupted XLSB files?
There are a few things you can try to fix corrupted XLSB files:
- Try opening the file in a different program: Sometimes, corrupted XLSB files can be opened in other programs, such as LibreOffice Calc or OpenOffice Calc.
- Try repairing the file: Microsoft Excel has a built-in file repair tool that can try to repair corrupted XLSB files. To use the file repair tool, open Excel and then click File > Open > Open and Repair. Select the XLSB file you want to repair and then click Repair.
- Try recovering the data from the file: If the file repair tool is unable to fix the file, you may be able to recover some of the data from the file using a data recovery tool.
How do I create macros in XLSB files?
You cannot create macros in XLSB files. Macros are only supported in XLSX files.
How do I protect XLSB files with a password?
To protect an XLSB file with a password, open the file in Excel and then click File > Info > Protect Workbook. Select the Encrypt with Password option and then enter a password twice. Click OK to save the password.